BREAKING: New York judge blocks Luigi Mangione's backpack from evidence in Brian Thompson murder case
By Libby EmmonsAccused assassin Luigi Mangione had a win in court on Monday
when New York state Judge Gregory Carro granted the defense motion to block his
backpack from evidence. The backpack was obtained by police in Altoona, PA at
the time of his arrest. The judge found that the backpack was "was not
sufficiently in Mangione’s control when Altoona police were detaining
him," reported CNBC.
"The evidence found during the search of the backpack
at the McDonald’s must be suppressed, including the magazine, cellphone,
passport, wallet and computer chip," said the judge. A manifesto that was
found inside the backpack will be admitted as evidence as was a handgun.
Carro's reasoning was that the search conducted by the
Altoona police when they apprehended Mangione at a McDonalds was prior to
obtaining a warrant. Once they conducted a second, inventory search, they found
the gun and notebook in a compartment they had not previously searched.
"The search of the backpack in the McDonald’s was an improper warrantless
search," Carro said. Because of that, he said "the items found in the
backpack at the McDonald’s will be suppressed."
"The backpack was within the exclusive control of the
police," Carro said of the item while it was being checked for weapons by
police at McDonalds. He "reject[ed] arguments that officers needed to
search the bag immediately out of concern for explosives or weapons,"
reports WJAC.
Carro states that once the search warrant was obtained.
Mangione is on trial for the murder of United Healthcare CEO
Brian Thompson on a Manhattan street. The motive for the killing is believed to
be ideological in nature due to Mangione's displeasure with the American health
insurance industry.
Thompson leaves behind a wife and two children. He was murdered on December 4,
2024.
Original Here
![]() |
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
